It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:56 pm

Text Size
Login

North Coast Bottle Share

The place to discuss upcoming events or even to plan your own. This forum can be used in conjunction with the Calendar so you know what's on where and when.

Postby Sokratees9 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:59 pm

Hi all, I'm trying to set up a monthly bottle share in general area of Coleraine. Why Coleraine? From a selfish point of view, it's my nearest big town (I live about 8 miles away).

But from a practical point of view, it's a relatively big town. It has a train station and decent bus connections (although few of those go after late evening, so it's really about trains). And it has a pub right by the train/bus station that does a good selection of craft beers on tap and in their adjoining offie. I'm open to moving it to different places in the area if suitable venues exist.

I've spoken to the barman at Fairleys, and he seemed keen on the idea. I'll run it past the owners once I get the plans ironed out to make sure it'll work for them. The general plan would be that each person would bring one beer each to share amongst those who are there (and if you don't have something to bring, pick up one at the office), drink those beers and have a few pints of whatever else is on offer.

Usually Fairleys charge a "corkage" fee if you buy a beer in the offie and drink it in the bar, which is expected, but I think we can get it waived for the bottles brought in to share (but still only one per person). Since we'll all probably have 2+ more beers on top of the share part, and if we can get 5-10 people in each time, the bar will be selling £50-£150 more beer than they usually would.

I'd love to try and get one set up for November (but probably not December, too many Christmas parties), so let me know if you are interested, and please pass the message on to others who might be keen. Tentatively I'm looking at the third or fourth week in November, probably a Tuesday or Wednesday night.

The plan would be to start relatively early, around 7pm, so that those who have to get trains can get about 3 hours in before they have to head to the train.

Cheers
Stephen
Sokratees9
Beoir Member

Postby DrJohn » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:26 pm

Hi Stephen,
It's a great idea if you can get the word out. I see it's already been on Twitter. The Metalman Bar in Waterford do a similar thing monthly. If you get a date in November - you can post add it as an event on the Events/calender.
John
John
DrJohn
Site Admin

Postby irish_goat » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:31 pm

Like the idea. I'd maybe be able to join depending on the time. The train from Derry is handy enough for me anyway.

What's the selection at Fairley's like?
irish_goat
Beoir Member

Postby ni roy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:16 pm

irish_goat wrote:Like the idea. I'd maybe be able to join depending on the time. The train from Derry is handy enough for me anyway.

What's the selection at Fairley's like?

There's a quartet of Lacada taps now in Fairley's. The offy next door has a good selection too.

Good luck Stephen with the bottle share.
www.QuareSwally.co.uk
ni roy
Beoir Member

Postby Stephanos » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:56 am

coleraine a bit out of the way for me; would need an overnight stay as can't ask Daisy to drive me up and back!
Steve
Blogs@ http://beersiveknown.blogspot.com

Twitter @beersiveknown

Writing a guide to pairing cheese and beer

http://cheeseandbeer.co.uk

Member of British Guild of Beer Writers
Committee member CAMRA NI
Stephanos
Beoir Member

Return to Events