It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:46 pm

Text Size
Login

Oktoberfest Bier in Ireland

Introduce yourself in here, or just chat about anything that comes into your head.

Postby SCullen » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:56 pm

Hello all,

Recently joined beoir and I've a question for all you well-informed beer drinkers. Is there anywhere in Dublin ( or Ireland ) where I can get an actual Oktoberfest Bier? Just been to Dublin Oktoberfest, and a very nice German barman there has informed me that the beer there is some bastardised version of their standard Weiss beer, because they're not allowed sell the typical festbier, as it is too high in alcohol to sell at an Irish festival. So I would be interested in anywhere that sells some real German festbier from tap or an Irish brewery that's trying to do their own rendition, if any of you lot have any insights I wold appreciate your beer wisdom. Thanks in advance!
SCullen
Beoir Member

Postby irish_goat » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:20 am

Drinkstore have bottles of Erdinger and Hofbrau. Erdinger's is a wheat beer whereas Hofbrau would a more traditional fest bier i.e. a marzen (lager). The barman is right, the average Irish consumer would be knocking these back like they would an average pint.

https://www.drinkstore.ie/Hofbrau-Oktob ... 63-7036/1/

Not sure about any draught versions. Galway Bay bars or Bierhaus, Cork would be most likely places to have it I'd say.
irish_goat
Beoir Member

Postby TheBeerNut » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:09 am

SCullen wrote:they're not allowed sell the typical festbier, as it is too high in alcohol to sell at an Irish festival.
They could if they wanted to. What he means is they're working round the problem that Irish people aren't very good at drinking.

SCullen wrote:I would be interested in anywhere that sells some real German festbier from tap or an Irish brewery that's trying to do their own rendition, if any of you lot have any insights I wold appreciate your beer wisdom.
I don't think I've seen any of the Big Six Oktoberfestbiers on tap in Ireland, though they all show up bottled in off licences.
Beoir Chair

Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby andrew » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:57 am

Apparently Probus have a small supply of Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier
Andrew
in Dublin
andrew
Beoir Member

Postby TheBeerNut » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:13 am

SuperValu on Sundrive Road has a large one.
Beoir Chair

Fermenting: Cider
Running: Pale ale, IPA, Dry cider
Stock: Mead, Kit Barolo, Imperial stout, IPA, Quadrupel
TheBeerNut
Beoir Member

Postby SCullen » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks for the responses lads!

For what it's worth, Urban Brewing has an Oktoberfest bier that's quite nice and certainly nicer than what they're selling in the Dubln Oktoberfest. Though they don't serve it in a mass. Also, Lilac wines on Philipsburgh avenue has had a long running offer on Spaten Oktoberfest bier, 4 for 10.50.
SCullen
Beoir Member

Return to General Chat